Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Shark Art Debate

After I got back from my children's doctor appointment this afternoon, our class looked at an article on Scholastic News. Here's the link if you are interested in reading the article yourself:

http://magazines.scholastic.com/news/2014/09/Preserved-Predator

Highly intriguing stuff! It opens up the question, what is art really?

Well, whenever we have discussions about choosing an opinion, I do my very best to keep my own out of the conversation. It's amazing how quickly group think can occur and how difficult it is to come up with reliable data when it does occur.

We discussed the article and how to communicate an opinion specifically and clearly. Why do you believe what you believe? Why does your opinion matter? If we are specific with these answers, it lends our point of view a little more "oomph."

So, we created and completed an online survey through Google Forms that went directly to a spreadsheet. Then, we turned it into a graph. I thought some of you might want to see it.



I hope that when your child comes home and you ask them what they learned that day, you are getting specific details and not just the "nuthin'" response. Hopefully, these posts can be a conversation tool for you to go deeper with your child at home.

Reminder!!!

Observations about an environment are due Friday. A possible way to extend this assignment is maybe observing the same environment on multiple days to notice any changes, if at all.

Labor Day is Monday. So, I won't be here if you come. :)

Reading logs are due that next Tuesday. I prefer students only complete one reading log a day. It's not about cramming; it's about consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment